- Organic spinach or mixed salad greens. I get these at the farmer's market every Saturday. The mixed salad greens makes interesting salad because you get different tastes every bite. Once there were sprigs of dill in it, and that was so good. Floyd teases me and says I'm eating weeds, but I do think there are some dandelion in the mix so I guess I might be. Buying packaged lettuce at the grocery store is not very tasty, and they probably add some sort of preservative or something. Buying romaine or spinach at the grocery store is a better bet. I have mixed results with the spinach at Fred Meyer. The spinach from the farmer's market was the sweetest spinach I've ever had. This is definitely an instance where the fresher it is, the better it tastes.
- Organic unsalted hulled sunflower seeds. I buy these in the bulk section at Fred Meyer.
- Regular cottage cheese
- Organic canned garbanzo beans
- Organic berries - I've tried strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries. All are good.
- Random organic veggies. I like green onions and carrots. Sometimes I use cucumber, broccoli, or avocado.
- Dressing - 2 parts olive oil, 1 part balsamic vinegar (I eyeball it), a pinch of sea salt, and grind in some fresh pepper. Mix it in a bowl and sprinkle over the top.
Let me know if you try it and enjoy it.
This is part of my What I am Eating series.