Saturday, November 19, 2011

Why Pay For Something When It Is Free?

I started using a new service recently called Kachingle.  You pay $5 a month and it keeps track of websites you visits, and how many times you visit them, and then divides your $5 up the sites and gives the money to the author as a tip.

Why would I pay people for services they are offering for free?  The reciprocity on the internet is amazing and I love to participate in the free exchange of knowledge, but at the same time, money is what provides food on the table and a house to live in.   If people could earn a bit of money, maybe they would have more time to share even more?

I consume the content, so shouldn't I pay for it?  Allowing who-knows-who advertisers to pay for the content I'm consuming introduces conflicts of interest, and creates a convoluted economic system that doesn't sit well with me.  I'm a sucker, like most everyone, for a good deal, but at the same time people work really hard to write software, write articles, etc.  Shouldn't they get compensated for it, and shouldn't the beneficiaries of their work be the ones to compensate them?

I'm also against over-consumption and have been working hard to limit what I buy.  One way I do this is by avoiding advertising.  While advertising does have its usefulness, it also drives our entire buy more, over-consumptive economy.  Some bloggers are able to be very discretionary on what advertising goes on their site, but not everyone has the necessary traffic that allows them that privilege.

Micro-payments probably won't ever take hold, but it is an idea I like so I'm going to support it.


1 comment:

mrs green @ littlegreenblog said...

I've never heard of this - thank you so much for bringing it to my attention; I think it's a wonderful idea. You're right - bloggers give so much of their time, energy, of themselves to their websites and it's nice to be appreciated, even with just a few pennies.

I'm going to check it out and sign up too :)