Thursday, January 3, 2013

2012 in Review

I never got around to posting my goals for 2012 on my blog, but basically I had decided that I accomplished quite a bit in 2011 and if I reprioritized my time I should be able to start a mobile app business.

I was successful.  I released five apps and have some available on both Android and iOS.  Unfortunately I have $110 less then I did at the start of the year.  :(  Christmas sales have been significantly higher, so I will be in the black as soon as I get paid for December, but there are still some significant software and hardware purchases that I would like to have, to make the process a bit smoother.

Kids Pattern Recognition
I worked on average about 12 hours a week from March until December, and the last few months were pretty stressful.  I am trying to stay positive in that I have learned a lot, and I think the quality of my apps will be higher in 2012, but I have a lot of doubts too.  I am literally coding and caring for children at the exact same time, and it is far from optimal.  Low sales, high stress, and troll reviewers who hurt my feelings sometimes make it hard to keep plugging along.  But going into this, I knew that I have to do it for at least two years before I can tell if it is viable.  I'm hoping that 2013 will be a big success!

I ran around 625 miles this year.  I was horrible at recording my mileage, so that is a rough estimate.  The only race I ran this year was a 5k.  I tried not to "race" during it, but I have a hard time letting women pass me, especially towards the end.  But overall in 2012 I was laid back as far as running was concerned.  I ran a bit slower than normal and really observed the plant and animal life and the changing seasons.  I had planned to do trail races this year, but never really felt like it, so that didn't happen.  I'm trying to get Floyd to run a marathon next year and live vicariously through him. :)

For sewing I didn't make a whole lot.  I made the girls Halloween costumes, Christmas dresses, and sewed myself a couple pairs of leggings and partway through a pair of jeans that still need a waistband.


Crazy carrot that were 8 carrots in one.  Still tasted good!
My garden did well again.  It seriously amazes me that I can grow anything, let alone food.  It is so satisfying to be short on groceries and be able to go out in the yard and pick some food.

I planted potatoes and those turned out delicious.  I will be doing a whole lot more of them next year.

So far I haven't had much luck with a fall/winter garden.  The problem is I have to plant seeds when it is hot and dry which means I have to remember to water, and I don't.     

At the beginning of the year we had a big highlight in that Floyd got second in a pretty big poker tournament, and thus we got a new Mazda5!  He also entered the WSOP Main Event and made it to the third day.  While it was unfortunate he didn't cash, the suspense and daydreams of being a millionaire were exciting. We even saw him on TV!  He ended up having his most profitable year yet, and we are so grateful that he is such a great provider, and does so in such a fun way. :)

We did quite a bit of traveling this year. We took a month long roadtrip to California.  It was so fun, and getting away from the rainy Seattle winter was luxurious. I wish we could do it again this year, but the guilt of pulling Selena out of school is stopping us.

Floyd and I also headed to Tahoe for a weekend to celebrate one of my best friend's weddings.

Overall 2012 was a good year and 2013 is looking to be good too!

No comments: