Thursday, January 28, 2010

Mothering Magazine - Digital Version

I really enjoy reading Mothering magazine.  Some (but not all) articles are on what most would consider the very extreme side of "natural" living/parenting.  I really like the alternative perspective it gives compared to more mainstream parenting magazines and how it points out aspects of our society and challenges you to think about why we do things the way we do.  I also like the fact that it is privately owned and not a product of the massive American media machine ;).

For the past couple years I have been checking out this magazine at the library when each new issue comes out.  I've thought about subscribing, but I can get it at the library for free and doing so saves paper and waste so I haven't.  But the last few issues have had some really good articles that I've wanted to keep.  I decided to look into their digital version, but I kind of assumed that you couldn't print out the articles so I didn't know how much good it would do me.  Well you can print out the articles and the technology they use to deliver the magazine is very impressive (to me as a computer programmer).  You can also buy digital reprints of popular articles and soon they will have the ability to purchase digital versions of back issues.  And it is ridiculously cheap at $6 for a year's subscription. 


They have a sample issue here:

http://www.mothering-digital.com/mothering/sample/

The current sample is the July/August 2009 issue and the article on Breastfeeding in the land of Genghis Khan is so interesting.  The vaccine articles are also extremely informative. 

*Mothering magazine did not sponsor this blog in any way.  This is wholly my own personal opinion.

No comments: