Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Things I've been reading

Here are some interesting posts I've read in the last couple weeks:

Using Computers to Teach Children With No Teachers - I read lots of stuff on educational theory, early childhood development, etc. and I've been drawn to self directed learning, multi-age peer learning, and unschooling as a more ideal way to teach kids.  This article is an example of these methods working really well.  Amazing.

Irrigationless Irrigation - Really cool invention that would allow massive amounts of trees to be planted in the desert.  Can we reclaim the Sahara?

Breast milk Kills Cancer - Breast milk is magic and the answer to world peace and all civilizations problems.  Maybe, maybe not, but I've finally found some update on the research being done on breast milk killing cancer cells.  I think the Susan G Komen institute should start funding some more research on this.  Wouldn't it be cool if the answer to breast cancer could be made from the breast?  I am curious to know if inducing lactation could curb/stop or kill the growth of some breast cancers.  I need to read the whole article sometime and attempt to understand it.

Kermit Alphabet Song - I love this youtube video.  It is my favorite version of the ABC's.

Down with HFCS - Cancer apparently feeds on it.  Love how they need to create a drug to make it not feed on fructose.  Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just stop eating it?  It's all about the money.

Seahawks got screwed in the Super Bowl in 2006 - I'm still very upset about this, but I love that the ref admits he made mistakes.  Makes me feel a bit better.

History of Science - This is a neat site that has articles on the history of technology and information on various artifacts.  The database goes from 2,500,000 BCE to 2010.

No comments: