Tuesday, January 18, 2011

2010 In Review and 2011 Goals

I'm a little late on the game, but that is okay.  2010 was full of change.  We sold our house in Puyallup and bought a new one in Mill Creek/Everett.  Floyd quit his job as a teacher to play poker full time.  We really love living closer to family and our new neighborhood is fantastic for running, playing, and walking.  I've really been excited about living close to a fancy grocery store where it is easy to buy local organic produce and ethically raised meat.

I did a pretty good job with my 2010 goals.  I didn't do much sewing because it was too hard to find time with the girls, and I was okay with that.  Now the girls are older and we are closer to family so I get a bit more free time so I am picking it up more now.  I have become an even better cook.  I hardly eat any processed food and we joined a CSA in the spring and summer and I eat more vegetables than I ever have in my life.  While I've done great Selena does not have much variety in what she eats, and most of what she eats are convenience foods and thus Allie does too.  :(

I have pretty much eliminated sugar from my diet, but it wasn't really by choice.  After getting sick in September a side effect of the seizure medication, or the seizures, caused sugar to be really unappetizing.  So now if I have something sugary it isn't more than one or two bites.  I miss ice cream.  I have an idea for a no-sugar, or really low sugar ice cream recipe, but haven't tried it yet.  I did run quite a bit in the summer, but got thwarted by being sick in September.

So my goals for 2011 are:

  • Sew a pair of jeans.  I've already done this, but my first pair had some mistakes.  I have more denim ordered and should get a perfect pair of jeans sewn within the next month.  
  • Sew a jacket.  
  • I am committed to running the Capital City Half Marathon in May.
  • I want to work on having less waste.  I buy lots of bulk items at the grocery store, but don't bring my own containers.
  • I want to eat more fish, preferably at least 3 times a week
  • Be more ethically minded in my purchases.  Everything we consume has ethical ramifications.  Usually the cheaper something is, the more unethically it was produced.  I want to limit my purchases to only things we need, and I want them to be of good quality.  I want to make more of our clothes and buy more things used (I am going to have to overcome a snobbish attitude for buying used).  I don't want to be swayed by advertising, and I don't want to buy random crap. Sadly this is a hard goal.
  • I am going to have a garden this year!  I thought I would be able to start a late one after we moved, but wasn't able to make it happen.  This year I will. 

No comments: