Monday, November 22, 2010

Christmas Present Recommendations for Young Children

Obviously Christmas is around the corner.  It seems like people are starting a bit earlier this year since we've been listening to Christmas music on the radio since mid November.  I figured I'd post the toys and books that have been a hit in our house and maybe I'll earn a bit of Amazon Affiliate money if someone buys them. ;)  Selena is not a toy person, nor has ever been, so when I find something she likes I feel like I hit the jackpot.




I got Selena one of these when she was about 15 months old.  She has since gotten two more.  She still plays with them often and creates all sorts of amazing drawings.  When she was young she would have me draw our family over, and over, and over for her.  Allie now has us draw Dyna, over and over and over.  It's great that it leaves no mess and no waste.  You can find these at any store (Target, Walmart, Toys R Us, etc).



These blocks are so much fun.  You can make some amazing things with these blocks.  Watch this video to see some of the cool stuff possible.  Selena, Allie and their friends who have come over all enjoy playing with these.  These are nice because the creativity of the children is not limited.  You can use the blocks to build roads, train tracks, a xylophone, doll furniture, as well as buildings, towers, etc.  You can also buy the brands Kapla and Keva, but they are a bit more expensive and from what I've seen the quality of Citiblocs are just as good, maybe even better.  The 200 piece set seems a good amount.  As the kids get older I think I will buy more, or I might just buy more for myself.  You could probably find these at a specialty toy store, but buying from Amazon is probably the best bet.
This is the basic doll Fisher Price sells.  The doll has a hard head, arms, and legs, but a soft body.  I'm not sure why, but both of my children prefer this doll to all others.  Selena carried "Baby doll" around a lot when she was one, and when Allie turned one she started stealing Selena's, so we got her one too.  Now Selena lets her take care of her baby doll as well so Allie gathers all the dolls and takes care of them.  I made quite a bit of clothes for them, and maybe someday I'll post the patterns.  Selena also frequently gave Baby Doll baths, she got kind of stinky from being wet all the time, but if I soaped her up good and wrapped her in a towel for a day, then she seemed fine.  You can get this doll at any big box store and it probably will be cheaper.  It was $10 at Toys R Us when we bought one for Allie.



I've decided that this is the best children's book.  Unfortunately it is not considered one of Audrey Wood's most famous books and thus I have never found it in a brick and mortar book store, but you can find it in the library and at Amazon.  Both my children walked around singing the rhyming verse from this book for weeks.  It is a current favorite of Allie's and every time she seems the book she says, "Sally, Sally."  The pictures are cute and both Selena and Allie love to point out Neddy Buttercup, the sheep, the dog, and the loon all hiding in the background, waiting for their entrance into the story.  I have bought this book as a gift many times and frequently the parents will tell me that it has become a favorite of their child's.

If you are looking for other great children's books any books by Eric HillAlexandra Day, Sarah Garland, Jan Ormerod, Mo Willems or Robert Munsch will probably be a hit.






No comments: