Sunday, May 31, 2009

Sew Ruffled Capri Pants

I love the way these turned out. I've been meaning to make them for a long time, but there wasn't much point in the winter and I didn't have a good pattern and wasn't sure if I wanted to spend the time making my own. I almost bought the Britches & Bloomers pattern, but it seemed like it should be pretty simple to make myself.

I ended up putting both elastic in the waistband and a tie drawstring because the elastic lost its stretch when I sewed it. Next time I'm going to try some knit elastic, versus the woven I used, because I think its supposed to do better when sewn. But I might like the drawstring better anyway.

When I made the pattern I tried to make a wider area for the crotch and included a raised center back to accommodate her cloth diapers. It ended up working pretty well. They fit well when she is in a diaper or in underwear.

For the ruffles I wanted to use my gathering foot on my serger, but I couldn't get it to work consistently so I ended up using elastic.

The front is the left piece and the back is the right.

No comments: